1) Would be making my mom proud that I’m wearing clean underwear.
2) Am leaving the laundry for tomorrow.
3) Will be baking a cake this evening for our new overlords, the ancient Mayan gods.
4) Have been listening to Verdi all day, because nothing gets you in the mood for the end of everything as we know it like a good old Day of Wrath.
5) Wish I could have gotten my hair to look nicer.
6) Hope it at least waits until after I watch the new episode of Fringe tonight.
7) Wonder if the end of the world takes into account different time zones, or what, because it’s already Dec. 22nd where my brother lives, and he’s fine, as far as I know.
8) Am slacking off at work for a moment to write this list, because what are they going to do? KILL ME?
9) Am struggling to come up with a number nine for this list.
10) Told my daughter she’d be getting a pony for Christmas, so I’m hoping the earthquakes start soon.
Here’s a top 10 list, because I like lists.
1. It never seemed possible before, but apparently you CAN screw up green bean casserole.
2. Your cousins will avoid helping with the dishes at any cost.
3. Probably because they learned it from their mother.
4. Cousins in low-cut dresses will end up with spit-up on their cleavage.
5. But they deserve it, because they didn’t help with ANY of the cooking or the dishes and just sat there like a lump and played with their sister’s baby, so ha ha, you’ve got baby puke on your boobs.
6.The adult version of Uno is a much longer and more irritating game than the children’s version of Uno. But still not as long as Lord of the Rings Monopoly.
7. No matter how irritating it is to be the only one helping with the dishes except your mother (Thanks, Mom!), at least you don’t have to make small-talk with your family.
8. Which is especially great news, because that means no one’s asking you when you’re going to marry your child’s father, including him, because he didn’t help with the dishes either.
9. Which is one of the many reasons we’re never getting married, if you were wondering.
10. If your dessert is the least runny, it is, by default, the best one.
So you’ve met this great guy, and he’s probably the president, but isn’t the president married or something, and also in Washington, DC? So who the hell is this guy you’re dating?
Here’s a helpful little list of 10 items that you can use to find out.
1. Your new boyfriend is probably Muslim, because Obama rhymes with Osama, because that’s a completely logical connection to make.
2. Your new boyfriend is the first black president, except some people say “Well, isn’t he part white, so it doesn’t really count?” so they can feel better about being horrible, horrible racists.
3. Speaking of white, he lives at the White House.
4. With his wife and some amount of children and possibly a pet or two.
5. Your Republican friends are very disapproving of your new boyfriend, because he’s a bleeding-heart liberal and also the president.
6. Especially your friends who own businesses that don’t want to pay for birth control for women.
7. Seriously, if someone could explain to me exactly how being on the pill is the same as abortion, I’d love to hear it. Try it without a crazy rant though.
8. Recently, your boyfriend has suffered a bit of a decline in popularity, but in the end, it turns out most people still like him anyway.
9. Except that guy who writes letters to your newspaper using phrases like “this once great nation.”
10. …And, you know, the one percent.
So to answer your question: No, you’re not dating the president.
Sure, the nature of man is inherently evil. But your new boyfriend seems even more inherently evil than most. That’s because you’re probably dating a supervillain. Or maybe just a jerk. But how to be sure? By using this handy guide, of course!
1. Does your boyfriend blame others for his male-pattern baldness? Say, like, SUPERMAN?
2. When you guys have a night in, you bring the movie and the popcorn and then you meet at his lair. Some superheroes, like Batman, have a lair. Most superheroes, however, don’t call their hideouts “lairs.” Only supervillains do that.
3. Does your boyfriend have henchmen? The charismatic supervillain tends to be surrounded by a variety of henchmen.
4. Sometimes, your boyfriend gets so excited talking about his evil plans for world domination that he gives the hero time to escape. A tragic flaw of the standard supervillain!
5. Say, wait a sec. Your boyfriend has evil plans for world domination? You know who doesn’t have evil plans for world domination? Joe Average that you meet at the bar. You know who does have evil plans for world domination?
6. Also, there’s this guy in a costume usually hanging about, thwarting your boyfriend, and when you ask who that guy is, your boyfriend describes him as “my nemesis.” Most people don’t have nemesises. Nemesi? What the hell is the plural of nemesis? Actually, there probably isn’t a plural because if you do go to the trouble of having a nemesis, you generally only have the one. Anyway, I forgot my point.
7. Does your boyfriend set up elaborate traps to capture this guy he describes as his nemesis, and then those traps inevitably fail? You know that’s because good always triumphs, right?
8. Sometimes you just want to cuddle, but your boyfriend always wants to plot against his nemesis. Yeah, that’s rough. Maybe you should get a nemesis, and do your own plotting!
9. You waited for your boyfriend to call, but he never did, and then you were watching the news and there was someone on the news resembling your boyfriend talking about his plans for world domination and, also, kidnapping the mayor or something. In this scenario, I’m assuming your boyfriend’s one of those old-fashioned supervillains that doesn’t just mass murder people.
10. Last but not least, you know your boyfriend’s a supervillain when you go to the post office and his picture’s not on the Wanted poster or the Most Wanted poster but on the Super Most Wanted Poster. Because they totally have those, and this wasn’t a lame joke to end this post on.
There are many important — nay, imperative — life lessons to be gleaned from horror/sci-fi movies featuring aliens that want to kill us all.
Here are 10 of them:
1. Always keep a backup flamethrower.
Barring a backup flamethrower, make certain your flamethrower has plenty of fuel, because they always, always, always run out at the most inconvenient time.
2. Never freeze up in terror.
Predators never think motionless little rabbits are rocks, and the evil alien that is killing everything around you will likewise not think you are a rock. Your first inclination might be to hold very still and just hope it goes away, but that always ends in tragedy, except for the evil alien.
3. Never NEVER split up.
I know this advice seems a bit counter-intuitive, because if you’re all sitting in one big group, you’re like a human buffet for the killer alien, but there is safety in numbers. As soon as you split up, people start getting eaten, or replicated, or cocooned, or some other godawful thing.
4. Learn how to say “That’s not a dog! It’s an evil shape-shifting alien that wants to kill us all!” in as many languages as possible, even that one that’s mostly tongue clicks.
If the Norwegians in The Thing had been able to spout off this phrase in English or, alternatively, if the Americans had been able to understand this phrase in Norwegian, the tragedy that later followed could easily have been avoided.
5. Never trust androids.
I don’t care how Michael Fassbender-y they are, they have almost certainly been programmed to kill you for their masters’ nefarious whims.
6. It’s never the most obvious guy.
Sure, Clark’s acting all shifty and weird, like he’s probably been replaced by some sort of shape-shifting alien bent on world domination, but did it occur to you that he’s always acted shifty and weird? It’s probably one of the hippies.
7. It’s really cool when someone’s head turns into a spider.
Everything about that scene is win.
8. Don’t put off hunting the evil alien for a more convenient time.
This is a common mistake, apparently. You need to begin your indiscriminate slaughter as soon as possible, before the aliens have time to multiply, or get bigger, or whatever. DO NOT WAIT! EXTERMINATE!
9. Don’t leave the crazy guy alone, because he’ll almost certainly do something crazy and ruin everything for everybody.
That crazy thing could be releasing an alien face-hugger (see Aliens) or it could be as simple as getting replicated by the shape-shifting alien, trying to build some sort of craft and killing pretty much everybody who’s left.
10. And, last but not least: For God’s sake, if you come across some sort of disgusting alien blob-thing, never stick your face up close to it.
This is a lesson not only for you, Kane, but also for everybody at that Antarctic base who was poking around in the alien autopsy. Sticking your face up close to the suspiciously maybe-dead-but-probably-not alien blob is always, always, always a bad idea. Never do it. Ever.
Recently, you’ve found yourself in the position of imminent death by alien. But maybe there’s hope! (There’s probably not hope.) Anyway, here’s a list of ways to be certain you’re about to be killed in a truly gruesome way.
1. Are you a crew member aboard an interstellar ship of some sort?
Or maybe you’re a marine from the future, or a criminal on a prison planet or whatever the fourth movie was about.
2. Is there an android aboard with its own shady agenda?
Have you got the Ian Holm model or the Michael Fassbender model on board? I mean, either way you’re toast, but one of the androids is Michael Fassbender.
3. Is your name Ellen Ripley?
It’s not, you say? Well … that’s a shame.
4.Did your idiot crew mate Kane run off and get some sort of hideous monster with acid for blood attached to his face?
And then did the rest of you morons bring him on board instead of being all, “It was nice knowing you, Kane! Enjoy being an alien incubator! Rest in peace!”
5. Then, after your idiot crew mate Kane seemed to recover from having a hideous monster stuck to his face, did none of the rest of you think maybe it didn’t just fall off and die?
It’s called “Survival of the Fittest,” for a reason, you guys.
6. After your unfortunate crew mate Kane succumbed to the injuries of having birthed a hideous space monster out of his chest, did you decide to hold a makeshift memorial for him rather than killing the creature while it was still relatively harmless?
It’s nice to honor your crew mates, but Kane would’ve wanted you to avenge his death first.
7. Are you working for the Weyland-Yutani Company, which puts profits before the safety of its employees?
You’ll know for sure if you intercept a message to the evil android on board that declares “Crew is expendable.”
8. Is your ridiculously outdated (despite being from the future) technology no use against the terror that is stalking you?
I mean, how can you travel through space and have computers on board that look like Atari systems?
9. You’re absolutely sure your name’s not Ellen Ripley?
Yeah, the aliens get her in the end too, but her life expectancy is a tad longer than everybody else’s. Also, she gets cloned!
10. In space, can anyone hear you scream?
No. No they cannot.
Everybody loves a mad scientist. And lucky you! You just so happen to be dating one! … You think.
Let’s just make sure, shall we?
1. Oh, your boyfriend is mad, all right. Very mad indeed. But it turns out that instead of science, his obsession is millinery.
Interesting story! The famous courtesan Kitty Fisher was a milliner before she became a courtesan. Later, she died of lead poisoning due to the ingredients in the popular face makeup of the time.
(Shut up! Learning things is fun!)
2. Your boyfriend is mad, and also a scientist. Also, he has a pet monster.
And sometimes, people call the monster by your boyfriend’s name.
3. OK, your boyfriend is a scientist, AND he’s mad, and he’s also really, really old.
And from the future!
4. Madness is a trait of your boyfriend’s, and maybe he’s a scientist, but probably not. Also, his name is Max.
And he’s Mel Gibson before he went mad.
5. So let’s say your boyfriend is a genius scientist who happens to be mad. Should you feel badly about two-timing him with his evil self?
6.Your boyfriend’s mad, a scientist, and Edison hates him soooo much.
He’s probably just jealous that they’ll get David Bowie to portray him in the movies.
7. For your birthday, he got you a puppy.
And its DNA had been spliced with a human’s, and it’s miserable, and you’re miserable, and you all live miserably together on an island.
8. He travels to other universes!
And has a pet cow.
9. He might be mad, he’s definitely a warrior, and he battles evil.
And hangs out with Warwick Davis.
(It’s a Willow reference. Get it?)
10. He travels through time in elegant fashion, and has awesome (?) hair.
Some folks might say you could do better than dating Doc Brown, but some folks are crazy.
There you go. Unless you’re dating the Mad Hatter, Mad Max or Madmartigan, then you’re definitely dating a mad scientist. I hope this helped you. I know it helped me.
So, lately, I’ve noticed that Keanu Reeves hasn’t been too busy ruining movies I would otherwise want to go see with his wooden, wooden acting. That means he must have plenty of time for dating right now! He might even be dating you!
(But probably not!)
Let’s find out anyway:
1. Is your boyfriend a terrible, dreadful, incredibly wooden (yet attractive) actor?
Chances are he’s Keanu Reeves, but he could maybe be Channing Tatum too.
2. Does he ever smile?
I’m not sure Keanu Reeves does that.
3. Was he pretty good in The Matrix, though?
Laurence Fishburne was pretty good in The Matrix.
4. How about trench coats? Does he look good in those?
And not, like, I don’t know, kind of stubby and stupid?
5. Was he John Constantine once, because, apparently, Hollywood doesn’t know what “Blond” and “British” are?
“That’s the same thing as ‘brunette’ and ‘bad actor,’ right?”
6. Would he be horribly miscast as Spike Spiegel?
Oh, God, wouldn’t he, though?
7. Have you tried convincing him to model instead?
“I’m an actor,” he replied.
8. “Sweetheart, I really think you should consider it,” you said, gently.
“What are you, a film critic?” he said.
9. “No, honey, I’m just a person who enjoys watching films, except when you are in them, because you’re just … well … really bad at them.”
“How come I keep getting cast in them, then?” he answered.
10. “Blackmail? Are you blackmailing someone?”
You’re blackmailing someone, right?
So, to answer your question: You’re probably not dating Keanu Reeves. At least, not anymore, because that last conversation really hurt his feelings.
Now, some sins aren’t even, well, “sins,” per se, but they’re still very annoying, and almost assuredly there’s a special spot in hell for people who do these things.
Here’s a list of 10 things that make me hope you spend at least a few months of your eternity suffering for your transgressions:
1. People who don’t pull over for ambulances. This. Pisses. Me. Off. So. Much. Like, where could you possibly be going that is more important than the people who are trying to save someone’s life? Pull over! You suck! I hate you!
2. People who throw cigarettes out their car windows. I hate littering in general, but it really, really, really ticks me off when people throw cigarettes out their windows. Because all cars have ash trays in them, Christ. True story: I went to visit one of my friends in Whitefish, Montana, and she was working as a firefighter that summer. We were driving along, and she flicked her still-lit cigarette out the window into the very dry, dry, dry bushes. “What is that, job security?” I said. “Ha, ha, ha,” she said. We haven’t spoken since.
3. People who don’t put their shopping carts away. Once, there was an old guy parked right next to the cart rack and he didn’t put his shopping cart away. As I put mine away, and put his away too, I shouted to him, “Hey, did you notice? There’s a cart rack right here? It’s right next to you!” Really, it’s a miracle nobody’s murdered me yet.
4. People who switch lines when the sales clerk says “I can help whoever’s next,” and they aren’t next. A woman did that when there was this really, really old, fragile lady in front of her who’d been waiting much longer, and I loudly declared, “I believe this lady in front of you was next, why don’t you wait your turn?” And she ignored me, because she was a double bitch.
5. People who think they’re better than you because your job requires you to help them. Not too long ago, one of our customers said to me, “What would you know? You’re just a receptionist.” I thought to myself: “I know you’re an asshole. That’s something.”
6. People who “correct” you when they’re actually wrong. “I think you spelled ‘interment’ wrong,” the family said to me. “Really?” I said. “Because I’ve done 50 obituaries this week alone, and you’ve only done one.” (In real life, I said it much nicer, of course.)
7. People who chew gum constantly. I understand that some people are very concerned about their breath, but when you look like a cow gnawing cud at Grandma’s funeral, it’s time to look into breath mints.
8. People who don’t say “thank you” when you hold open the door for them. I always say “You’re welcome” very loudly, and sometimes, they are shamed into saying “thank you.” Other times, I guess they are deaf-mutes.
9. People who play their car stereos so loud you can feel it. Look, I know you’re really proud of your taste in music, but it is causing me physical pain.
10. People who insist on driving under the speed limit until the light’s about to turn red and then they blast through it, leaving you to wait and curse them and their descendents unto their dying days.
Everyone likes your new boyfriend.
“He’s a big improvement over that Egyptian mummy you were dating,” they say.
But what they don’t know is that your boyfriend is actually the assassin known as Lone Wolf and Cub: Ogami Itto. Or is he?
No, he totally is.
Here’s a list that proves it:
1. Your new boyfriend is a samurai — more specifically, he’s actually a ronin.
You know who used to be a samurai but then became a ronin? Ogami Itto! Ogami Itto did that very thing I said!
2. And not only is he a ronin (a.k.a. a masterless samurai, for those of you who aren’t quite as obsessed with Japanese culture as the rest of us), he’s a skilled assassin!
My goodness! Your boyfriend is also a skilled assassin. What a coincidence! Except not, because your boyfriend is probably Ogami Itto!
3. Also, he’s got this cute little kid that tags along everywhere with him.
And he goes by Ogami Daigoro (because in Japan, last names come first), and omigod, he is the cutest little kid ever, but don’t get on his bad side, because, seriously, he’ll cut you.
4. Not only is your new boyfriend a ronin, an assassin and a father, he’s also on the demon’s path of revenge (meifumado, as it’s known to the samurai) to avenge his wife’s murder and the sullying of his family name.
Kind of hard to believe he manages to find the time for dating with all that going on his life, you know?
5. Sometimes he talks about his mortal enemies, the Yagyu, and how it’s a shame they couldn’t have remained noble samurai.
Because he’s a noble samurai, even with all the killing for money.
6. Your biggest competitors for your boyfriend’s love are prostitutes and thieves.
For some reason, those ladies are just crazy for Ogami Itto.
7. When you go out on dates, you’re often targeted for murder by covert forces, such as ninja or other ronin or bounty hunters.
Probably not Boba Fett, though. Unless you’re in some sort of awesome crossover universe, in which case, can I come visit you there?
8. Also, he always brings his sword everywhere with him, because his sword is his samurai soul.
Yup, sounds like Ogami Itto all right.
9. Does he hardly ever get killed, except when his enemies resort to underhanded tactics?
And then he totally does get killed? And then you cry a little bit because it was so sad?
10. And, finally, is your boyfriend about to get ruined by a Hollywood movie?
“But why would Hollywood ruin a classic samurai epic?” you wonder. “What could possibly be in it for them?”